If you need a delicious Christmas cookie recipe, but are short on time, look no further. This is the perfect one. Making cookie bars cuts out a lot of the baking time for when you make cookies. And these taste so good! They don’t last very long here at my house. I made these M&M cookie bars for the first time this holiday season, but I think they will be ones I will make throughout the year.
Really, they are so easy. Just preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and sugars until they are light and fluffy. It really is important to have your butter softened. Then, beat in the eggs, one at a time and add in the vanilla. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add that in with the creamed mixture. Toss in the chocolate chips and one cup of the M&M’s until they are mixed in well. Spoon the batter into your greased 13×9 baking pan and spread out evenly. Take the rest of the M&M’s and sprinkle them over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool completely before slicing into bars.
And that’s all there is to it. Pretty quick and easy, right? I don’t know about you, but I am a bit behind with Christmas this year. Actually I think I am usually behind with Christmas just about every year…but this one a bit more. We decided to take a trip to California this month for our nephew’s wedding. It was a beautiful wedding and a fantastic trip…but now I am home and thinking about what I need to do for Christmas. So much to do… thankfully I have Santa to help! Let me know if you make these and how you like them.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 mini chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups M&M’s, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time and add in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Slowly add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix in chocolate chips and 1 cup of the M&M's.
- Spoon the batter into a greased 13x 9 baking pan. Spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining M&M's over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Makes 2 dozen bars.